Friday, April 6, 2012

Metal Mania!!!

Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you, Metal!

In this post we have Christian Metal, American Metal, and even what some may call "pseudo-metal".  Okay, I may have made that last one up, but you will see what I mean shortly.

To start off, let's talk about Christian Metal, and by that I mean Impending Doom, and MyChildren MyBride, specifically.

Baptized in Filth album cover
Impending Doom has released a new album in the last few months.  I know this may not sound like a big deal to the average person, but for those who are fans of the band, or of hardcore metal in general, the release has been highly anticipated.  It has been two years since the band released their last full-length album entitled There Will Be Violence. The band has now released Baptized in Filth in March, and it is every bit of the face-melting, awesomeness that fans have come to expect from the guys.

Whereas I do appreciate the raw aggression that their music has, and the adrenaline-fueled need to destroy things as I listen to it, I also realize that the band is lyrically astounding.  You may be thinking "There are lyrics?"  Yes, yes there is!  In fact, they are quite deep, and extremely theological in nature.  These guys definitely know their Bible...and make it rock!

Speaking of bands that tear your throat out...MyChildren MyBride have been on a rampage since 2008's release of Unbreakable. The group tour's almost non-stop, and the release of their latest self-titled album already has them on the road.  In fact, they are coming to the Philly area on April 14.  The show will feature the band and guests For Today.  Pop Deflator's is working on covering the show, so keep an eye out, you may see one of us there.

What about the secular realm of Metal?  What's going on there?  I'm glad you asked (even though you really didn't).

Self-Titled Album Cover
Of Mice & Men also has a tantalizing offer your sonic pleasures.  The band released their current effort The Flood in 2011, but I just got the chance to listen to it recently.  I never admitted to being on top of things...get off me.

People who are familiar with the band already know that the band was founded by Austin Carlile, of Attack! Attack!  Thus, the band's sound remains in that vein of clean vocals and style, but add a punishing brutality to the sound-palette.

On to that "pseudo-metal: comment that I talked about.  I know I have spoken highly of Five Finger Death Punch in the past.  Unfortunately, I have to express how disappointed I am in the band's current single "I Remember Everything".  This song does not sound like 5FDP at all!  It sounds more like Nickelback, or early 90's Staind, where every song was about "daddy issues".

There are many more bands that I could talk about, but unfortunately I don't want to write that much, and I'm sure you are tired of reading by now.  So in that state of mind... be sure to check out Like Moths to Flames, Fit for A King, and Memphis May Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment