Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Dark Side of Oz...

The Wizard of Oz
Something happened to me about a month ago.  I have only recently been able to formulate this event into words... it was that mind-blowing.  You may have heard the rumors, or you may have done this yourself, but folks I am here to tell you that Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon synchronizes with The Wizard of Oz.  It's true...

I first heard about this phenomena from my friend and fellow blogger, Justin (who recently guested on this blog). I admit that I was completely skeptical.  I thought there was no way, without making a ton of really lenient excuses, that the two could ever work together.  I was wrong!!

In order for this to work, you have to start the album after the third (3rd) lion roar in the MGM opener.  Then, if you did it right, just sit back and watch.  Here are a few tips to know if you got it right:

You're in sync when the following happens:


Bicycle Entrance
  • The bell section of the first track starts when the "witch" enters on her bicycle
  • When Pink Floyd sings "balanced on the biggest wave" Dorothy is balancing on the fence post
  • Dorothy falls at the Tin Man's feet when the heart beat sound starts the second time through the album
  • "Money" plays while the cast gets spiffied up in Oz.
If you can't tell by the list, you are going to have to listen to the album more than once for this to work.  Like I said, I was skeptical the first time through, but the second and third time through Dark Side of the Moon was just enough to make my brain melt out of my ears.  This literally made me feel like I was on something, although I have never done any drugs in my life.  Every dance step was in time with the music. Almost every scene cut lined up with the timing of the songs, and of course the lyrics pretty much described what was happening on the screen if you allow some creativity.  For instance, while "Us and Them" is playing Dorothy is being introduced to the munchkins and sent off on the yellow brick road.

In total, the album plays 3 and a half; almost 4 times to finish the movie... but the fun doesn't end there!

Dorothy meets the Tin Man
If you happen to have a special edition copy of The Wizard of Oz, you are in luck, because the brain melting doesn't stop when the movie is over!  The "making of" special, hosted by Angela Lansbury, also (extremely strangely) syncs up with the album, if you continue to let it play through after the original movie.  If you have a DVD, make sure to pause the album so you don't miss out.  When Justin and I did this, we used a VHS copy.  By the end of the "making of" section both Justin and myself were on our knees with our heads in our hands wondering how this could be happening.  Justin had been through the movie experience before, but no one knew about the "after party" that was the special.  It was too much for our brains to take.

The Dark Side of the Moon cover
If you want to try this venture, good luck to you.  I will warn you all though, my mind stayed blown for 3 days after this.  Enjoy your trek in the "merry old land of Oz".

No comments:

Post a Comment